Saturday, December 7, 2013

Week of Nov. 25


Kinder- I read A Plump and Perky Turkey, by Teresa Bateman.  I had to laugh, because at first my students thought the characters were going to eat turkeys made of soap, potatoes and oatmeal and not use them to trick the turkey!  We also shared a short nonfiction book about turkeys and talked about the difference between fiction and non-fiction.

First- I only saw one first grade class this week, and I had not seen them last week, so I read One is a Feast for Mouse (Cox) and the students did a sequencing activity of the food the mouse piled up for his feast (this was last weeks lesson).

Second- First I read Thanksgiving at the Tappletons (Eileen Spinelli).  After we enjoyed the book, we did a Reader’s Theater version.  I have never tried RT with second grade before, but they did great!  And they really enjoyed it.

Third and Fourth- I shared the book Turk and Runt: A Thanksgiving Comedy, by Lisa Wheeler. One of the most fun parts of this story is doing all the voices of the characters!  I especially play those up because after we shared the story, we worked on a Readers Theater version of it.  I loved hearing students do their own versions of accents (great chance to work on expression and voice)!  We did not finish the entire thing so I have been made to promise the chance to finish another day!

Fifth and Sixth- Students played a game called Book Hunt 3.  I purchased this game from Upstart, and each team pulled a card that has 6 books they need to find.  There are multiple steps for each book.  For example, first they have to figure out who the author of a certain book is, and then be able to find another book by that same author.  Any team that found all 6 got a prize from the prize box.  Then everyone helped putting all those books back!!