Saturday, October 5, 2013

Week of September 30



Kindergarten- I shared with Kinders one of my all time favorite author/illustrators- Mo Willems.  I even had my stuffed Pigeon out to show them!  We read Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus.  We then talked about how exciting this day is because they get to take out library books for the very first time!  We talked about how we will care for our book at home, and I used visual clues to help them remember (pictures of no pets, no food or drinks, having clean hands, shelves or backpacks, etc).  Then we moved up to the tables and watched a wonderful short video entitled Don’t Let the Pigeon Touch the Book, which reinforced the rules we had just talked about.  I declared them officially ready to take books out, and they choose from selections at the tables.

Second Kinders- I read Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog.  We talked about how the words and the pictures are done by the same person as Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus.  I then had a treasure box and we examined all the items in it and talked about how they related to book care (stuffed dog and cat, tape, bookmark, crayon, scissors, etc).  For students who did not bring their book back from earlier in the week, they had a chance to color an elephant with a string tied around his trunk, with the message of “Remember to return your library book on…..” with the day of the week filled in.  All students received them on each day they come to library, so some students received two, but only had an opportunity in library to color one.

First Grade- Students thought I was a little bit crazy when I started off the lesson this week! First, I could not decide where to sit to read, then I choose a little board book, then a novel to read to them.  Finally, I choose the right book, but stopped to put on socks, the first pair being my daughter’s, the second pair my husband’s, and finally a pair of my own!  All of this was in preparation to read Goldisocks and the Three Libearians (Hopkins).  This story emphasizes to my students the importance of picking a just right book (the Goldilocks Rule).  We discussed the Five Finger Rule and everyone got laminated book marks with BEAR (Be Excited About Reading), with the reminder day of when they have library. 

Second First Grade- To continue our lesson about choosing a good fit book, I shared with them the book The Best Book to Read (Bertram).  We then watched a short video from Brainpop, an excellent database that I am lucky enough our district subscribes to, about choosing a just right book.  This video reinforces the idea of using the Five Finger Rule to choose books, so important at this age!

Second Grade- I very recently discovered the fabulous book of Dog in Boots, and immediately fell in love with the story and illustrations.  Dog reads about Puss in Boots and goes on a quest to find the perfect pair of shoes for digging, swimming, scratching and running.  This ties in so perfectly with talking to my second graders about I-PICK a Good Fit Book, a method of book choosing from The Daily Five.  Did I mention the illustrations are adorable?!?!  We then reviewed a powerpoint about I-PICK (I look, Purpose, Interest, Comprehend, Know the words), where shoes are also talked about, and how the shoe needs to be the right size and the right style for the activity.

Second Second Grade-    Although my students are very familiar with Puss in Boots, Shrek-style, I knew they probably had never heard the original.  So after hearing Dog in Boots earlier in the week, I read them the beautiful Puss in Boots version by Jerry Pinkney.  It was fun to see the astonishment at the difference in stories!  While Puss in Boots was not a Caldecott winner, we did discuss that the author/illustrator has won the Caldecott for his illustrations in the Lion and the Mouse.  Second grade also watched Brainpop Choosing a Book to review, and left with IPICK laminated book marks.

Third Grade- We read Alphabetti (Morton), to begin learning about how Everybody and Fiction books are arranged by ABC order.  This is a great book to share with third grade as it also touches on the topics of dictionaries and encyclopedias, which we will cover later this year.  After we talked about ABC order, students used laminated cards of book titles, articles of clothing and names of games to put in ABC order.  Some of them required students to go out to the fourth letter!  They also learned to ignore a, an and the when alphabetizing. 

Second Third Grade- I was really disappointed to miss out on International Dot Day (September 15th), so I used this day to share with third graders the book The Dot (Reynolds).  We talked about being creative and I showed them the ColAR app that makes a 2D picture look 3D.  Students spent some time making Read themed dots on special printouts that go with the app.  Next week, we will use the iPads to see how it works.  Thanks, David C. Barrow Elementary Media Center for the idea!

Fourth Grade- I needed to review how we use our online catalog with fourth graders, and it takes a bit of time, so I did not read to them this week.  Instead we went through a powerpoint on using Alexandria, our system, and I had the students practice by choosing a topic, looking it up, deciding on a book, and writing down the title, author, call number, location (Everybody, Fiction, Non-Fiction, or Biography), and whether or not it was available.  I convinced they will be experts on being able to do this in a few weeks, and I saw tremendous improvement just from this one class.  They are well on their way!

Second Fourth Grade- I read a very funny except from Ramona the Pest (Cleary books are still very popular), where she misunderstands her teacher’s use of the word “present.”  We compared this to Amelia Bedelia books (Parish), and how words can have such different meanings.  Students then went on a book hunt, using cards from Book Hunt 3 (Upstart).  If student teams could find at least three books from their list of clues, they could choose a prize from the bin.  They wiped out the prize bin, they all did so well!  Of course, they needed to use their new online catalog skills to find where the books are kept!

Fifth Grade- I started the short story Conjure Brother, from the book Dark-Thirty, Southern Tales of the Supernatural (McKissack, illustrations by Pinkney).  I also told this grade about Jerry Pinkney winning a Caldecott.  We then moved on to a discussion about the district Acceptable Use Policy of the Internet.  This is a very tough read for students, so I read it aloud to them, and then they were assigned small groups to do a close read of a paragraph and report back to the class what their summary of the paragraph was.  We got about half-way on both the story and the policy close reading, and will finish both next week.

Sixth Grade- These students were very disappointed to hear that the Unwanteds was only for Book Fair, but excited to hear the library is getting a copy, courtesy of the PTO (THANKS, PTO!).  We got right back into the Library Card (Spinelli) and students have really become involved in the story line.  This grade is also doing a close read of the district Acceptable Use Policy of the Internet.  I think it is really important for students to understand what the expectations are.  Both the policy and the story tie in very nicely with the sixth grade theme of integrity, which they shared with the entire school at our first morning meeting of the year on Friday.  Integrity is all about doing the right thing even when no one is looking, and the Library Card and understanding the Acceptable Use Policy emphasize that.   This grade will also need next week to finish our close reading of the policy.